Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Martyrs’ and Heroes’ Remembrance Authority, was established in by law 1953. Sited on the Mount of Remembrance in Jerusalem, it has been developed over a number of years.
The International School for Holocaust Studies building is located in the northern part of the Yad Vashem Campus near the Archives and Library Building, both of which are connected to the Visitors’ Center and Entrance Plaza by an underground passageway.
The school building was constructed at the first stage with classrooms, a library and offices. This first stage of construction was completed in 1999.
The need arose to expand it with the substantial growth in the number of visitors to Yad Vashem following the opening of the new historic museum and expansion of school activities for a variety of target populations. To do this, a new wing was constructed next to the original school at which 11 classrooms, instructor staff rooms, offices and an auditorium with 328 seats were added.